Commodores Blog June 2020
Published 12:49 on 2 Jul 2020
A warm welcome to all new members that have joined the club over the past few months.
The good news is that the COVID 19 regulations are easing which has enabled options to access the water possible. The Committee and our COVID team deserve a big thankyou for the speed of response in delivering solutions whilst continuing to protect the safety of members. By contrast the Committee would also like to thank all members for their patience and consideration to ensure we remain COVID 19 compliant.
At the time of writing both casual on the water activity (no safety boat cover) and weekly racing (safety boat cover) exist with training still under review.
Recent physical changes that you will notice at the club include:
- The completion of the path with additional sensor lighting. If you look down from the sea wall at the path you can really appreciate what a superb job our Rear Commodore Guy Fleming and volunteers have done.
- Formal signage on the new boundary fence confirming that parking is strictly for members of SSC. Thanks to Robert Tindall & Dawn Samuels for sourcing these signs.
- The purchase of a brand new petrol driven power washer to assist slipway washdown events. If you are keen to try the washer out please volunteer for the next slipway washdown on Saturday 11th July.
The Committee has also given the green light to complete phase 2 & 3 of the dinghy park fencing. The same style of security fence will be used replacing the poor state of the existing boundary fences. Subject to materials lead time work should start from w/c 13th July 2020.
Please welcome Victoria Cozens and Caron Hill to the role of Dinghy Park Supervisor following the announcement that Martin Lumb will step down. It would greatly help if members ensured that all dinghies and tenders have boat names and SSC displayed at the stern of their boat. This is in accordance with club rules. One early task will be to lay down some additional slots and to review and improve the numbering of existing positions.
In writing if any member has a dinghy, tender, kayak or windsurfer board at the club, not yet billed for storage, then can you please let Patrick our membership secretary know.
Calendar Events in July (subject to change, please refer to website calendar)
- Saturday 04th July - Dinghy Work party (AM / PM)book via Duty Roster
- Sunday 5th / 12th / 19th / Pursuit racing
- Saturday 11th July Dinghy Shake out sail / Power boat testing 14.00 to 16.00hrs
- Saturday 11th July - Slipway Washdown (Volunteers needed)
- Friday 24th July Committee meeting (Zoom)
- Sunday 26th July Round the Island Race / to be confirmed
Last updated 14:45 on 29 July 2020