Commodores Blog April 2019
Published 07:50 on 2 May 2019
A big thankyou to all those members that attended the club house work party in March. Cruiser members were out in force and made up the majority of the task force painting the rib shed, cleaning the slipway and tidying up the foreshore. Given that we have a larger percentage of dinghy members then it would be fair for those members, not at the work party in March. to volunteer for slipway washdown duties particularly if you are a frequent user of the slipway.
Slipway washdown dates are in the calendar so please select an event and let Martin Lumb know which date suits on. 01728 605601 / 07740704778
The club grounds I hope you agree are looking really great.
A successful March
- The Fitting out supper was a splendid evening and although this was oversubscribed we managed to squeeze everyone in. Well done to Dawn for organising a great kick off to the social scene and thanks to all those that brought along deserts.
- RYA L2 Powerboat course – This course was fully subscribed and enabled the club to bank in excess of £1000. Congratulations to the following members that successfully completed the course – Helen Allen, James Heeley, Aubrey Pearson and Adrian Galea. We also had 2 external candidates on the course.
- SSC are grateful to Aldeburgh Town Council who have donated £500 to the club which we intend to use for the purchase of 10 new buoyancy aids. These will come in very useful at the Aldeburgh schools week and for training – many thanks ATC.
- You may have read the notice that we have purchased a brand new 40hp Honda engine for our larger rib……….. just when we thought that we had put a cap on spending, the note explains the background. It is anticipated that rib and new engine will be on the water w/c 13.05.2019.
What's to look out for in May
The big event for May is RYA Push the Boat Out on 5th May 2019. A significant amount of effort has gone into organising this event to allow people to get out onto the water. Apart from local advertising, articles have featured on the front page of Aldeburgh Gazette and also on Suffolk Radio.
There is still time to get involved as we anticipate a busy day so if you are able to pop down to support please speak to Dawn beforehand on 07715 953149
- Plenty of dinghy race events including Wednesday evening AYC racing – refer to the on line Calendar for latest information
- Adult support and teenage sailing every Tuesday pm – speak to Leslie Downing
- RYA training – L1 dinghy course, L2 Powerboat course (full), Safety boat course – book online
- Iken cruise and picnic & Little Japan cruise and picnic – refer calendar for dates
- Italian night pop up supper Saturday 25th May – Book early as the previous event was over subscribed !
- AYC Spring Regatta Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th May
Last updated 12:46 on 3 May 2019